Monday, October 18, 2004

"Vital" Flu Shot?

The American Lung Association http://lungusa.org just solicited me for a donation with a fancy package of "Christmas Seals." It included 10 ways to take action against lung disease. The 8th caught my eye: flu shots are "absolutely vital for those who are over 50" years old. I love doing what's vital; I am absolutely vital. But, being not quite 55 and in good health, there's no way I'm going to snag one of those "absolutely vital" flu shots. I'm a dues-paying, card-carrying member of the AARP -- a lot of good those credentials will do me now. I'm not one of the elderly over 65 entitled to get a dose.

I can't imagine any doctor or nurse being impressed if I were to argue that the American Lung Association has classed me as elderly, and I have my AARP card to prove it! How persuasive can my plea be when they've been warned they'll be prosecuted for injecting healthy, not-high-risk people like me?

I've been getting a flu shot for years, and the recent speculation about a pandemic from Thailand or Vietnam, had me all set to roll up my sleeve.

The reporting in the New York Times on Sunday suggests this was a blunder by the federal policy makers. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/health/17flu2.html

No comments: